There is no doubt that Facebook and Twitter are the most popular social media sites. These have been here for quite long and have made their mark ever since. However, there is another social networking site that is gaining momentum and has already seen an explosive growth. Ever since Pinterest has been introduced, it has become the talk of the digital marketing world. What sets it apart from other networking sites is that it is a virtual pin board, with less focus on words and more on visual representations. Now, many of you must be wondering how beneficial that is. Well, Pinterest is a powerful tool, no second thoughts about that, and if you haven’t yet explored its benefits, then it’s high time to do so.To start with, let us first know how it works. Pinterest is like an online scrapbook. You create boards and pin photos depending on your interests like food, fashion, art, decor and everything else. You can like and comment on pictures on other people’s boards and repin them on your own board. Just like Twitter, you also have the option of following people and their boards that appeal you. Similarly, if others find your boards interesting, they follow you too. This way, like-minded people are able to connect and get inspired from each other. It is very simple and fun to use. Once you start, there will be no going back.
That’s not all. Pinterest has recently updated its site to provide solutions for businesses as well. You have already spread your business over Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Linkedin. However, Pinterest has a lot to offer that can help to promote your business. Let’s see how:
- Develop relationship with customers– Create boards and showcase your work. Add personal style and creativity to your products. Think out of the box and provide the customers with ample opportunities to learn about your brand. Eventually customers will like and comment on your boards. Reply them back. In addition to that, you can also attach a “follow me on Pinterest” badge to your company’s website. Also adding relevant hash tags will be beneficial. Ex: #travel, #fashion etc.
- Know your customers– Which products are being liked? Which of them are most re-pinned? These questions can help you to determine your customers’ interests and likewise help you in additional product development. Customers would like to be assured that they are making the right decision by choosing your products. Make sure that you provide them with adequate product details and quality content only.
- Promote your products– Provide useful information about the products for visitors. Their prices can also be mentioned in the description box if you wish to do so. Come up with catchy slogans that can help to aid your re-pinning. Make your pins interesting by giving tips and advices.
- Keep updated with the latest trends– Pinterest is a great way to stay updated with the current trends, generating new ideas and find opportunities related to your business.
- Impact on your SEO rankings– Since the content on Pinterest are indexed by Google, it will affect SEO rankings.
- Generate website traffic– Pinterest also offers companies to hold contests for customers. This helps to stay in direct touch with them. Organize free games for your followers. Inspire them to participate and showcase giveaways. Not only will people visit you frequently but it will also make you have an edge over your competitors. More traffic to your company website will lead to increase in sales of your products.
- Increase back links– Every content posted by you and re-pinned by others acts as a link to your main page or your website. This helps in attracting more visitors, which can prove to be beneficial for your business.
- Others– Apart from entrepreneurs, it is equally beneficial for bloggers and freelancers. One can always seek for inspiration or attract others by increasing their visibility. It also provides a platform for budding artists to showcase their talents.
The only thing that you need to remember is to make your presence felt. Just like other social networking sites, Pinterest too follows the same old mantra. The more time you invest in it, the more it will harvest. Therefore, if you are using it for business purpose, you must abide by this rule. Other than this, Pinterest has raised its standards and has shifted its rank from being among the top 10 networking sites in 2011 to being the 3rd most popular site in 2012. With such a good reputation, it will stay in the digital world for a very long time. If you haven’t yet tried it out, it is time to do so. As a user, as an entrepreneur, as a marketer, Pinterest caters to all your needs. With so many things to try on Pinterest, it never gets monotonous. In fact, you will love it and in no time you will find yourself getting addicted to it.